Licton Springs Community Council

Building Community Since 1990

Council Meeting Minutes December 2020

LICTON SPRINGS COMMUNITY COUNCIL

approved Minutes Jan. 27, 2021 6:30-8:30 P.M.

Online meeting by Zoom due to Corona virus restrictions

Directors present: Janice Lichtenwaldt, Lindsey Webb, Ellen Beck, Melanie Davies, and Kathleen Braden

Attendees: Dianne Trani, Mike Cuadra, Bekah and Matt Gautrowski, Osboldo Hernandez, Janice Holkup

Janice started the meeting at 6:35 and welcomed everyone.

Minutes of Nov. 18, 2020 were approved as circulated. Treasurer’s Report was approved and Ellen reported she filed our 990 form this month.

  1. Board members: M/S/A to elect Bekah Gautrowski to fill the vacancy of Jan Brucker’s seat and Mike Cuadra to fill the vacancy of Tim Crosley’s seat. According to the by-laws, this action places them on the Board immediately and then they agreed to be nominated for two-year seats with the March, 2021 meeting.

    Kathleen updated regarding Board members and elections. The usual schedule has been interrupted due to the vagaries of the current COVID pandemic. Here is the situation:

    Terms up in April: Janice Lichtenwaldt, Kathleen Braden, Ellen Beck, Lindsey Webb. All have agreed to stay on the Board and be nominated at the March meeting for a two-year term. Liz Kearns and Melanie Davies have been continuing even though their terms were up earlier and will be also nominated for a new term at the March meeting but their terms should go until 2022, not 2023, because we are late in confirming them and it is better not to have the whole Board’s terms end simultaneously.

    Ellen agreed to be nominated to continue as Treasurer; Kathleen is stepping down as Secretary and Lindsey agreed to be nominated for that position. Janice is completing her time as President (and everyone agreed she has done a wonderful job for us) and Melanie is interested in the nomination for that spot. We will need a nomination for Vice-President and Mike Cuadra might be willing to serve.

  2. Other Duties: Kathleen has stepped down as administrator for the Licton Springs Facebook Page. Janice is still an administrator and will add Lindsey as one. Janice will also look into management of our website where minutes are posted and coordinate with Bekah & Matt who may be willing to help.

  3. Ad-hoc committee on by-laws revision: M/S/A to create an ad-hoc committee that Bekah will head up to consider revision to our by-laws and Lindsey will also help spearhead. She plans to start with input from the Council and then invite participation by people in the Licton Springs Community.

  4. Homelessness: Melanie led a discussion to update on issues of unhoused populations in the neighborhood. The group discussed City policy, presence of campers in the park and at Green Lake.

  5. Parks: Liz Kearns sent in a note that work groups are being held in Mineral Springs and Licton Springs Parks, following proper protocols for pandemic safety.

  6. Business members: The Board agreed to ask Liz to congratulate Pilgrim Coffee which has moved into the Starbucks space at Oak Tree and invite as a business member of LSCC and to have Kathleen due likewise with Salt Blade Meats

Minutes by Kathleen Braden, Secretary

Next meeting Feb 17 (Melanie will chair)

comments

Council Meeting Minutes Nov 2020

LICTON SPRINGS COMMUNITY COUNCIL

approved Minutes Nov. 18, 2020 6:30-8:30 P.M.

Online meeting by Zoom due to Corona virus restrictions

Directors present: Janice Lichtenwaldt, Lindsey Webb, Liz Kearns, Ellen Beck, and Kathleen Braden

Attendees: Dianne Trani, Tracy Cramer, Mike Cuadra, Emma Medicine White Crow, Bekah Manikowski (Gautrowski) and Matt, Peter Reid, Becky Edmonds, Jenny Frankl

Janice started the meeting at 6:35 and welcomed everyone.

Minutes of Oct 21, 2020 were approved as circulated. Treasurer’s Report was approved.

  1. Issues of interest from Visitors: Jenny Frankl of SPU Clean Cities Litter Abatement shared information on litter route for Licton Springs. (attached). Liz noted a work party upcoming Dec. 12 for Licton Springs Park with volnteers from Blanchet H.S.

  2. Becky Edmonds made a presentation on Restricted Parking Zone and other parking issues in Licton Springs area. (study map below). If the RPZ is expanded (there is an existing one due to NSCollege) with upcoming transportation changes, cost is $65/year for two year cycle. Low income people have an option of paying $10.

  3. Jenny discussed the litter abatement program that started in 2017 in the city and in 2018 in Licton Springs-Aurora area. A contractor is paid to cover Aurora between 84th and 105th. Parks Dept deals with parks so that is not part of their program. The volume of calls has not increased, but the volume of litter picked up has. The public cans along Aurora havea four times/week pick up for garbage and three times per week for recycling. Tracy suggested using free form at bottom of Find It Fix It app for special pickups for neighbors who voluntarily pick up litter.

  4. Board elections for 2021 were discussed. Our usual schedule for elections had been postponed last spring due to pandemic. Nominations are due in March. Let Kathleen know if Board members are interested in serving again. She will construct a recruitment statement for Dianne Trani from jet City Apts. to sed to residents to try to get representaiton from renters in neighborhood. Everyone wil try to recruit people, with an eye toward more divesity.

  5. We are unable to do holiday party and Epic Life Church is not planning lights in Licton Springs Park this year but Ellen noted there will b e a tree on the Burke cul-de-sac

Notes by Kathleen Braden, secretary, LSCC

No meeting in December.

Scheduled meetings for 2021: January 20, Feb 17, March 17, April 21, May 19, June 16, July 21, Sept 15, Oct 20, Nov 17

comments

Council Meeting Minutes Oct 2020

LICTON SPRINGS COMMUNITY COUNCIL

approved Minutes Oct 21, 2020 6:30-8:30 P.M.

Online meeting by Zoom due to Corona virus restrictions

Directors present: Janice Lichtenwaldt, Lindsey Webb, Melanie Davies, Liz Kearns, Ellen Beck, and Kathleen Braden

Attendees: Dianne Trani, Tracy Cramer, Osbaldo Hernandez

Melanie started the meeting at 6:35 and welcomed everyone.

Minutes of Sept 21, 2020 were approved as circulated. Treasurer’s Reports was approved.

1, Group discussed letter from ALUV sent to Geoffrey Wendtland January of this year to Office of Planning and Community Development. Ryan DiRaimo had emailed it to LSCC October 7 to keep us informed. It appears many planning projects are on hold due to disruptions caused by current COVID 19 pandemic.

  1. LSCC and UNEA/Clear Sky relations and purchase of tee-shirts to thank the UNEA youth. melanie has already received orders and M/S/A to spend up to $500 for the shirts. Liz attended the Sept 30 UNEA virtual meeting and noted once the pandemic is over, there might be volunteer opportunities with UNEA, for example, tutoring.

  2. Melanie invited visitors to address us. Tracy Cramer Clean City Division City of Seattle discussed community cleanup efforts, such as one for November, ate TBD. She also introduced us to Jenny Frankl, Sr Planning & Development Specialist Public Place Littering & Recycling Program, Clean City Division. Tracy and the group discussed clean up in the parks and neighborhood, particularly given recent City decisions on homeless encampmens. Liz noted the Parks Dept would be doing a cleanup in Licton Springs Park Oct 22.

Dianne Trani attended and noted her boss, Brian Robinson, a local property owner with various rental properties and a commitment to affordable housing and helping on neighborhood issues, would love to hear from LSCC on ways he could be of assistance. Lindsey requested some help contacting renters who might be interested in joining us to add a diverse voice to the Council and help with outreach.

Osbaldo Hernandez from DON has replaced the retired Thomas Whittemore and introduced himself. He noted that community conversations has been initiated, with the next scheduled for Nov 18, probably on the topic of public safety. http://www.seattle.gov/neighborhoods/outreach-and-engagement/community-conversations

  1. Several LSCC members attended the recent virtual town hall held by Debra Juarez and reported on the budget presentation, looking on our screens at the Powerpoint slides (Ben Noble, Dean Allsopp) indicating some real shortfalls in revenue to the City that are necessitating putting many activities on hold, such as moving ahead for now with the feasibility study for an Aurora-Licton Community Center. Melanie also reported on the group discussing public safety (Indian Health Board and Community Police Commission, Esther Lucero and Ryan Gilbert) and Jason Johnson for City Human Services.

  2. The group considered a request from Board member Amanda Crosley for support for North Seattle College Co-Op Preschool (see Oct 19 email from Amanda). The Board authorized a $150 donation and Janice will get in touch with Amanda and request preference for the donation to go to local area.

  3. Janice is still following up with Restricted Parking issue.

  4. We affirmed that we cannot hold our holiday event this year due to the pandemic and city restrictions on parks since we usually hold it in Mineral Springs Park.

  5. While we plan to have an event to celebrate Jan Brucker’s years of service once we are able to hold events in person, for now, Kathleen and Ellen will deliver the recognition award to Jan.

  6. Melanie reported on a Greenways meeting re Healthy Streets and Healthy Blocks initiatives and indicated there is still lack of clarity on all processes to designate streets or blocks as such. Healthy Streets are ones that had already been designated as Greenways but the blocks process not clear.

Notes by Kathleen Braden, secretary, LSCC Next meeting Nov 18

comments

Council Meeting Minutes Sept 2020

LICTON SPRINGS COMMUNITY COUNCIL

LICTON SPRINGS COMMUNITY COUNCIL approved Minutes Sept. 17, 2020 6:30-8:30 P.M.

Online meeting by Zoom due to Corona virus restrictions

Directors present: Janice Lichtenwaldt, Lindsey Webb, Melanie Davies, Liz Kearns, Ellen Beck, and Kathleen Braden

Attendees: Janice Holkup, Fadi Saloum, Mike Cuadra, Bekah Manikowski

Janice started the meeting at 6:35 and welcomed everyone.

Minutes of July 15, 2020 were approved as circulated. Treasurer’s Reports for July and through Sept. 12, 2020 were approved. Ellen also noted she filed our required yearly report with Wa State Sec. of State’s office.

Discussion of purchasing tee-shirts for One Sky youth as a donation: The cost for eleven tee shirts would be approx.. $262. This organization has had to move from Eagle Staff School to north Seattle College and several Board members are in touch with leaders of the organization, including Sarah Sense-Wilson. Council decided to reach out to Sarah and ascertain what program needs are and if the tee shirts would be a welcome donation. The group weighted the symbolic importance of the shirts due to their design using the indigenous language vs uncertainty about the needs of One Sky. It was also M/S/A to invite Sarah to a future Council meeting.

Liz Kearns provided a great set of updates to various neighborhood issues (attached below) and thank you also to Lee Bruch and Susan Ward for the information.

Liz also noted that the expansion of the North Precinct Police Station out- buildings and parking area is now completed. The group then discussed the situation for people living without shelters in Licton Springs park. Liz felt that there was a response to the letter the Council sent to get a cleanup initiated by parks Dept employees. She noted there is still water there in the drinking fountain but the bathrooms are locked and portable toilets provided. Several of the people there have received referrals to other housing options.

Neighbor Bekah Manikowski, attending the meeting, has a social work background and shared her thoughts on the situation in the park. She is concerned about the health of the people there given the unhealthy air quality indices at the present time due to forest fires in Northwest . Janice had initiated a conversation with Karina Wallace of the NGO “Facing Homelessness” and Kathleen followed up with a phone conversation with Karina. She sent these links to the Council: - To sign up/review orientation and Facing Homelessness opportunities : https://facinghomelessness.volunteerhub.com/ - The BLOCK Project : https://www.the-block-project.org/ - Facing Homelessness website : https://www.facinghomelessness.org/ - Facing Homelessness Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/HomelessInSeattle/ Karina also offered to visit a future meeting or even to go to the park and talk with the people camping there. She noted the organization does a sock drive, takes donations, and often sponsors cleanups. It also is sponsoring the construction of DADUs (detached accessory dwelling units) and has an orientation once a month. The organization especially likes to show images of unsheltered people and tell their stories on their website.

The group discussed the changes to the Community Police teams and the moving of Officer David Gordon out of the role he has held for many years. Kathleen will draft a thank you email to officer Gordon that also notes that LSCC is following this issue with cc to North precinct captain, new police chief, and Council Rep. Juarez. She will circulate a draft for approval. The vote was 5 yes and one abstain to do this.

Melanie noted with regret that our usual Halloween event in Licton Springs Park will not be possible this year due to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic and everyone agreed this was a sad, but wise, decision.

Lindsey gave a recap of the Music-in-the-Neighborhood event this summer that was a success. But we also have some ideas on how to modify and improve it for next year.

Mike Cuadra expressed thanks for the Council’s letter regarding zoning and the Halcyon Mobile Home park in North Seattle. Bekah Manikowski discussed the importance of a get-out-the-vote effort at the local level and she will write up a short paragraph about it and send to Janice so we can post it to our list-serv and other sites.

Janice concluded the meeting and thanked everyone. Next meeting will be by zoom Oct. 21.

Minutes submitted by Kathleen Braden, Secretary

ADDENDUM (Thank you, Liz Kearns, for collecting this information) STAY HEALTHY STREETS---Transportation/Seattle gov. Here's the official city webpage on them:  http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/projects-and- programs/programs/stay-healthy-streets From Lee Bruch: It is an initiative in response to Covid that has been launched in many cities nationwide to give more space for people out moving and exercising while maintaining 6 feet of social distance (where we have sidewalks, most sidewalks are only 5 to 6 feet wide, not allowing people to pass while maintaining social distance.

Locally, it was launched by Mayor Durkan and SDOT fairly quickly.  They specifically chose to launch it on Greenways since those were already in place as slow traffic streets prioritizing pedestrians and bikes over cars.  Here's an article when they were launched:  https://sdotblog.seattle.gov/2020/04/16/announcing-stay-healthy-streets/ .  Here's another article talking more in-depth about pros and cons:  https://westseattleblog.com/2020/05/stay-healthy- streets-explained-discussed-seattle-pedestrian-advisory-board/ Since that first announcement the network has gradually been expanded in response to public usage and popularity.  The StayHealthy Streets program was for an indefinite length of time, roughly estimated originally to last through Sept, or more recently, into October, depending on usage. I'm not aware of any final date having been determined, but I believe the current intent may be to keep them until towards the end of October.

The Mayor and SDOT announced mid-summer that roughly 20 miles of them will be permanent. Which 20 miles is still being decided I believe, depending on results of various public surveys and traffic counts SDOT has undertaken, results of some collision studies, city money issues, etc. See  https://www.myballard.com/2020/05/08/seattle-to-make-20-miles-of-stay-healthy-streets- permanent/ They are not closed to all traffic. They are meant to allow local traffic to serve the particular block, but where pedestrians and bikes have the right-of-way (sort of like cul-de-sacs in suburban neighborhoods). Northgate Pedestrian & Bicycle Bridge---Transportation/Seattle.gov Here is the link to Bridge information, and you can sign up on their mailing list for monthly or every other month updates. http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/projects-and-programs/programs/bridges-stairs-and-other- structures/bridges/northgate-pedestrian-and-bicycle-bridge NG Ped/Bike Bridge cont. What we’ve heard through design. Based on community input throughout the project, we know there’s interest in: Minimizing environmental impacts of the bridge by making sure, for example, that the project doesn’t disturb wildlife during construction and ensuring the bridge’s drainage system (for stormwater) is designed to enhance wetlands on the west end Ensuring safety and security of all bridge travelers Wayfinding and traffic control The experience of people biking and using other wheeled devices (e.g., scooters, wheelchairs, strollers, rollerblades, suitcases, etc.) Connecting the bridge to other infrastructure, including neighborhood bike routes Separating or managing modes of traffic on the bridge Other topics of interest included the project’s cost, the bridge’s durability, and maintaining vegetation. Thank you Susan Ward for sending this link.

FIRE STATION #31 There is a land use sign at 1319 N Northgate Way saying it will be demolished. An article in The Seattle Times 5.6.20 calls this building ‘The Cancer House’ and states the project budget cost is $43M for design and construction of new Fire House. The land use sign at Epic Life Church states their east parking lot will become a temporary Fire Station

31 with tents and 13 parking spaces.

The Seattle Times article (mentioned above) also states the City of Seattle will pay Epic Life Church $10,000.00 a month for 5 years to lease this land. Again, The Seattle Times article states the new site for FS#31 is 11302 Meridian Ave N I drove by this address and there is no indication that anything is planned for this site.

comments

Council Meeting Minutes July 2020

LICTON SPRINGS COMMUNITY COUNCIL

Approved Minutes July 15, 2020 6:30-8:30 P.M.

Online meeting by Zoom due to Corona virus restrictions

Directors present: Janice Lichtenwaldt, Lindsey Webb, Melanie Davies, Ellen Beck, and Kathleen Braden

Attendees: Janice Holkup

Janice started the meeting at 6:35 and welcomed everyone.

M/S/A to have Kathleen draft a letter to Councilwoman Juarez expressing our concern about unavailability of public restrooms at Licton Springs Park due to campers’ items and presence blocking access. Kathleen will send a draft to LSCC members.

M/S/A June 19, 2020 minutes as circulated. There is no Treasurer’s Report for this period although Ellen did note a donation received. She will update us later.

The group discussed producing tee-shirts via a print-on-demand company, Zazzle, recommended by Janice (https://www.zazzle.com/). The group discussed design ideas and M/S/A to allocate funds to pay a designer recommended by Melanie. Janice okayed the idea with Tom Speer of UNEA in conversation.

The group continued planning on August 19 event to make use of City’s invitation to use some of Arts in the Park event money since the full event could not occur due to the current virus. Thank you to Janice and Lindsey for doing much of the planning re outreach to secure musicians and indigenous artists. John at the UPS Store at Oak Tree offered to give us a good rate on yard signs and flyers to publicize the event.

LSCC received a request from John Lombard of D5 for support for a letter re zoning of the Halcyon Mobile Home Park to keep it available as a mobile home property. The letter is still being constructed and M/S/A to authorize Janice and melanie to decide if LSCC can lend support for the letter once it is completed, since we do not meet in August. Melanie in particular would like to get more information from John and some of the model actions, such as Bothell’s, he referred to in portions of it drafted so far.

Next meeting is in September. (16th) but it was decided to delay further Board member selection processes until 2021 because of anticipated ongoing restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Minutes submitted by Kathleen Braden, Secretary

comments