Council Meeting Minutes September 2018



Minutes of Sept 19 2018

Meridian Center for Health, 10521 Meridian Ave. N., Seattle 98133

Directors Present: Melanie Davies, Liz Kearns, Thomas Stachiw, Tim Crosley, Jan Brucker, and Kathleen Braden.

Thomas convened the meeting by having everyone introduce themselves and talk about what issues they were interested in putting forth. A neighbor from 105th St expressed her concern about crime, drug use, prostitution in neighborhood. Melanie offered to send her the anti-crime information Mary Amberg had provided at our June meeting. A representative from Seattle Neighborhood Group discussed the community safety survey going out regarding the 8800 block of Nesbit. Kathleen will send out the link to the listserv.

June 20, 2018 minutes and Treasurer's Report were approved.

Kathleen moved to spend approx. $78 for a banner for the Community Council to be used at neighborhood events. Seconded and approved.

Melanie discussed upcoming Halloween event in Licton Springs park and the need for Friends of the Forest volunteers. Melanie would like to also interest Eagle Staff parents and students to help. melanie requested $400 for cost o musicians, cider, and candy. MindyLee Irvine also is putting together a map of safe trick or treating houses in the neighborhood. Seconded and approved to spend the $400 requested. Melanie will communicate with Emma Medicine Whitecrow of the Licton Springs neighborhood and schools to see if costs can be reduced by coordinating with the schools. Jan expressed a desire to see Native American representative images of animals at the event. Emma also discussed the work at the schools and the hope to inspire and excite the children about tribal sovereignty of the land at Licton Springs park.

Thomas Speer of Urban Native Education Alliance made a presentation, explaining as well his role as an elder and his concern for Licton Springs' historic significance. He noted that the Duwamish people have been in the area for 15,000years because tribal traditions date back to the Ice Age. He stated that there were originally three springs at the park: Sulphur, iron oxide, and magnesium. As of today, only the iron oxide spring is intact. He expressed dismay about the graffiti, needles, trash, excrement, and prostitution in the park. He also noted the significance of the park to the David Denny family and that David Denny, unlike other Dennys, had been a friend to local Native Americans. Speer spoke for a group that is advocating for designation of the park as a historic landmark, with accompanying signage to explain the historic significance of the park. LSCC is requested to write a letter supporting the designation, as noted by both Thomas Speer and other visitors present such as Matt Remle, who provided a notebook of information.

Emma called for more money for education directly, rather than, for example, the money spent on the Andrew Morrison murals. There was a general discussion about designation of historic places in Licton Springs area.

Kathleen asked questions about the impact of a historic designation o the park management of the space and wants to be cautious about potentially negative interaction between City depts. that might inadvertently be harmful to use of the park. The group at the meeting also discussed federal recognition of tribes. Melanie affirmed Liz's role as forest steward for the park. and Kathleen gave an update on a proposal underway to DON to upgrade the signage in the park (Kathleen, Liz, Emma, Amanda Culp, and Joseph are all on the committee).

melanie reported on ALUV and the moratorium on development along Aurora. Home Zone- Greenways is also looking at ways to slow traffic in some areas around Licton Springs. A recent meeting on the topic had good attendance and there is a survey link on the Love Licton blog.

Jan, Ellen, and Amada discussed 501 c 3 status restoration. Amanda moved spending the $275 for reinstatement application. This was seconded and approved.

Jan brought up her dislike of the placement of portables at the new schools.

Meeting adjourned at 8:35. Minutes submitted by Kathleen Braden, secretary.

Next meeting Oct 17, 2018

Show Comments