Licton Springs logo
welcome pagelocal interestneighborhood in actioncommunity councilcurrents newsletter


Licton Springs
Park History

Native American History

White Settlers

Licton Springs Spa

Licton Springs Park


cat tail logo



White Settlers Come to Licton Springs

women at springs 1913
photos: Seattle Municipal Archives
In 1870, one of Seattle's original settlers, David Denny, built a cabin close to Licton Springs. It was the first cabin north of Seattle proper at that time. In 1877, Arthur Denny, David's brother, bought the land for a summer home and maintained the home for close to 30 years.

In 1903, Arthur's daughter, Inez Denny, offered the 81-acre Licton Springs property to the City for $45,000, which City Council declined. The property was then sold to a syndicate, ending up eventually in 1910 with the firm Calhoun, Denny and Ewing. Within the year, 600 choice lots were being offered in the new subdivision of Licton Springs Park, giving Seattle residents the chance to "get away from the roar and dust of downtown toil".

Throughout the years, settlers and city dwellers came to the springs to picnic, drink the mineral water and to ease the aching legs of draft animals by soaking them knee deep in the mineral mud. Until 1931, when Seattle diverted the spring's water to storm drains, Licton Creek fed Green Lake. Eventually most of the springs and bogs in the area were filled to create buildable lands. The natural wetlands were further drained because they were thought to be a health hazard.


Welcome | Local Interest | Neighborhood in Action
Community Council | Currents Newsletter | Links