Minutes of Community Meeting, March 20, 2013

NSCC Campus OCE&E Building, Room 220B

Directors Present: Jan Brucker, Liz Kearns, Kay Mesirow, Melanie Davies, and Ellen Beck.

Board Representatives Present: Ken Thompson (Liaison to North Precinct.

Visitors: Jean Wirch, Lisa Henry (Web Master), Thomas Whittemore (Department of Neighborhoods).

President Jan Brucker called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.

Minutes. The February 20, 2013 minutes were approved as presented.


North 100th Street Sidewalks. Melanie Davies reported that the signal put in at North 95th and Aurora Avenue North will be full cycling light, allowing west turns to 95th.

Licton Springs P-Patch.

The Spring Fling, which will take place Saturday, March 23, 2013, was discussed. Melanie said that she has chairs that can be used for the event, but she is not going to be home. It was agreed that she would leave them out and they could be picked up and brought to the event.

Jan has someone helping with a “We Dig the Licton Spring P-Patch” poster that can also be made into yard signs.

The music will be a blue grass group that Laura Sweany, Project Manager, has arranged for. Laura wants to know exactly what we are bringing.

It was unclear whether the committee followed up on Monty Monterecy’s offer to help with the banners. Jan has banners that could go between two trees. Liz Kearns said she would bring her pruning ladder.

Jan suggested we can spray paint the handles of tools so they look like new.

The ground breaking will be at 11:00 a.m. with a ceremony. Many people have been invited, including Cicsco Morris and Mayor McGinn.

NSCC Tennis Court Project. The application of North was not successful because the application was to the wrong fund. Rob Matson of the Northwest District Council has indicated he is sure that North can obtain funding under their sponsorship.

Murals at Wilson Pacific. This is the time to do something. Andrew Morrison was working with the School District, but he says he was “disrespected” and he is no longer talking with them. Liz suggested that perhaps Jan could speak with Andrew. It would be nice to find out what kind of hurtles exist and perhaps mend ways.

Tom Whittemore informed us that a written agreement exists and the School District has the right to eliminate the murals if they remodel/demolish school buildings.

Jan questioned whether or not there was an “art person” at the School District. She said it seems that if you take the wall apart, you should be able to put it back together, perhaps in another location.

Tom Whittemore told us the third annual Native Youth Conference “The Good Road of Life” will take place at Wilson Pacific April 16-18, 2013 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. This event is sponsored by Seattle Public Schools, among other organizations. The flyer promoting the event prominently features a picture of one of the murals at Wilson Pacific which potentially will be destroyed.

Ellen Beck was asked if she could get in touch with J.J. and see if she could clear up if it was made clear to Andrew that the School District had the right to eliminate the murals if the school is remodeled.

Melanie recalled a similar situation at Olympic College in Bremerton. She said she would research what had been done there.


Webpage. Lisa Henry reported that she has been cleaning up the LSCC website and making it more uniform. She has also made it easier to pull up what we routinely go the website to read.

Jan questioned how we were doing with dues/money. Kay Mesirow said she would talk to Debra about setting us up on PayPal. Most people now are very used to making payments online. Jan said that she thought there was a way to set it up so that money went directly into the LSCC bank account. Kay said that our fee for PayPal services would be less because we are a nonprofit.

Pedestrian Safety. Melanie said she had attended the recent transit meeting and been quite vocal about pedestrian issues. “What kind of public safety don’t you understand?” She said she thought LSCC should send a letter on this issue. Jan asked Melanie initially to draft something up since she was the one at the meeting. Melanie agreed to do so. It was suggested “pitching” that money is well spent on safety when money is sparse.

Tom Whittemore told about going on a safety walk on Aurora, coming south from 145th. He also handed out flyers for RapidRide. Jan suggested that we can perhaps revisit the expert report on safety walking that was in our Neighborhood Plan document.

It was questioned whether or not GAIN Aurora was still active. No one has received any e-mails concerning their activities. Liz offered to research GAIN. Perhaps they would like to come to one of our meetings. Now that the levy for improvements at Wilson Pacific are going forward, there will be a lot of kids coming into our neighborhood.

Ken Thompson was asked by Jan to check with the North Precinct on accidents on Aurora involving pedestrians.

Kay talked about the pathway along the northern fence of Wilson Pacific. She suggested we talk to the School District about establishing a path on “their” side.

Our next meeting is Wednesday, April 17, 2013.

The meeting adjourned at 8:24 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Ellen M. Beck, Secretary

EMB Personal\LSCC\2009 Minutes\November 18.doc