WelcomeLocal InterestNeighborhood in ActionCommunity CouncilCurrents

 

May 2004

April 2004

March 2004





 


LICTON SPRINGS COMMUNITY COUNCIL

Minutes of Board Meeting:
June 16, 2004

NSCC President's Board Room

Directors Present:Kearns, Jerry Owens, Wanda Fullner, Debra Willendorf, Ted Pickett, Shannon Snider, and Ellen Beck.

Board Representatives Present:Ken Thompson (North Precinct Representative).

Visitors:† Jean Wirch, and Staci Baldwin.

President Liz Kearns called the meeting to order at 7:15 p.m. and introductions were made around the table. The start of our meeting was slightly delayed because of a Northgate Stakeholders Transportation Subcommittee meeting taking place in the President’s Board Room ahead of our 7:00 p.m. starting time.

Minutes: The May 19, 2004 minutes were approved as presented.

Treasurerís Report:We all received a copy of the approved 2004 Budget. Any questions should be directed to Debra Willendorf.

NEW BUSINESS:

North Precinct Report. Ken Thompson wondered if anyone read his reports from the meetings at the North Precinct. We all assured Ken that we did. Ellen reminded Ken that she turns his e-mail reports into Word documents that are placed in the Licton Springs Community Council Minute Book.

Ken told us that Seattle has fewer police officers were 100,000 of population than any other city our size in the country. In these rough economic times, everything boils down to money and police attention goes to the worst areas of need. Ken provided a copy of a letter sent June 1, 2004 by the North Precinct Advisory Council to the Seattle City Council in connection with Police Department budget cuts.

Discussion followed regarding community policing.

Mineral Springs Park. Liz announced that Edie Whitsett needs help with watering this summer at the park. Liz explained that Mineral Springs Park had received $700,000.00 of Pro Park funding that has created an improved disc golf park plus a meditation/art park for the community. A grand opening is tentatively planned for July 10th.

No July Meeting. It was agreed that it was best to take the month of July off this summer, and begin meeting again in August.

Next Newsletter. The deadlines for the next newsletter are: Articles to Debra by August 1st; mail newsletters by August 31st/September 1st.

OLD BUSINESS:

Licton Springs Park. Liz said that the King County grant project at Licton Springs Park has been completed and the final report made. She said last Thursday she had been to a Cap Stone presentation at the University of Washington. There she heard reports of what the groups had done at their sites (Licton Springs Park, Woodinville, Vashon Island – The Sanctuary, the Duwamish, and the Center for Urban Horticulture).

The team of students who worked at the Park is from the University of Washington and the students are with the UW Restoration Ecology Network. In the fall, we will have another group, possibly two groups, of students who will begin another project at the Park. The students choose the part of the park that they will work in and devise a plan of what to do to restore the site. They then execute their plan and we are the beneficiaries. The park is improved and invasive plants are suppressed. Liz is the coordinator for the students who work on these projects.

Liz noted that with five to ten students working in the Park this fall, it will be a good time for us to seek another grant.

The Parks Department has privately acknowledged that the southern pond is contaminated, so no one is supposed to touch the pond water. Parks does not want it to be tested because then steps will have to be taken to restore the pond, and there is no funding for that at this time. Former Licton Springs Community Council president, Cat Newsheller, used to dredge the pond once a year, but now that has not been done for perhaps 20 years. The pond is disappearing because of all the runoff and contaminates that are flowing into it, and the invasive plants and other plants that are taking over areas that used to be under water.

On a happy note, we are introducing chorus frog sacks at the north end. Since chorus frogs are indicator species, when the pond became contaminated, the chorus frogs died/left. Some people living close to the pond used to complain about the noise of the frogs! Now we are slowly attempting to reintroduce chorus frogs.

The comfort station will open this month. The last bridge needing replacement will be replaced this year.

Picnic. The Licton Springs Picnic is the second Saturday in September. Liz said she is still working on the entertainment. Liz has spoken with Robin McCain.

North 100th Street. There has been some feedback that parking should be allowed on 100th. Also, after a woman timed cars on 100th, there are now two signs on 100th, one at Densmore and one at Stone. These signs say either 25 miles per hour or “Residential Zone” - no one knew for sure which. Debra said she felt we should pursue restricting parking. Perhaps an RPZ could be pursued. An RPZ would have to be contiguous with the existing zone. Debra will investigate. Discussion followed.

Ken Thompson reported from the budgetary town meeting. He said that Councilmember Richard Conlin had said money was available from SPU, if the sidewalk in question had drainage issues. This is a way to supplement monies for sidewalks.

Liz said she would follow up with Trung Pham regarding whether the 100th sidewalk project had been approved. She will e-mail his response to the rest of the Board.

Pilling’s Pond. Wanda Fullner reported on the first event of the committee, thanking PCC for providing greens for the ducks. This event was organized by Mike Bond, who is head of the committee. Yvonne’s sister, Melanie, who is living in the Pilling’s house, has had groups of grade school kids visiting the pond. A volunteer from the University of Washington, Department of Forestry, has provided some help. The committee has been working on necessary paperwork and has given the paperwork to Faith Roland. They are going to try for a full or a view easement. The appraisal will take place in August. Bob Ferguson will provide funding for the appraisal. Wanda noted that if the Pilling’s home is appraised for under $300,000.00, then there is a possibility that Melanie and her husband could purchase the home. If this were possible, it would be good for the community.

Advertising. We continued our discussion of advertising which we had begun during our May meeting. Both Ted Pickett and Staci Baldwin had approached business about advertising. Ted had talked to John Appel at the UPS Store. Mr. Appel had suggested interspersing advertising within the newsletter. Discussion followed. It was agreed that a business card sized ad would be $20.00; a quarter page ad would be $50.00. Wanda said she would call Roger Turner and find out how many flyers he has delivered. Ted said he could deliver 500 newsletters.

Debra said that she would not be able to keep track of the advertising. Someone is needed to keep track of the advertising commitments and collect the payments. She said that the businesses advertising in our newsletter should also sign a minimal “contract” of some kind, giving basic information and the extent of the arrangement being entered into. Debra will write the “contract.”

Our goal is to have four newsletters a year. We mail 425 copies each time to our mailing list. Ted could distribute extra copies.

Liz said she would call Bert Bradley about our mailing list. She will also ask him about the list serve project. He is apparently not going to be able to proceed with it, but we need to get from him what he has, if anything, for our list serve.

Northgate Stakeholders. Jerry Owens reported that the Northgate stakeholders had unanimously endorsed the hybrid alternative for daylighting Thornton Creek. This alternative provides the best treatment of the water.

There are now two subcommittees of the stakeholders’ group: Planning and Transportation. The work of these committees will extend through next year.

The next meeting, on Thursday, June 24th, will be covered by Shannon Snider, since Jerry will not be able to get off work in time for the 4:00 p.m. meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Ellen M. Beck, Secretary

Welcome | Local Interest | Neighborhood in Action
Community Council | Currents Newsletter | Links